The Elk County Public Works Department is responsible for the maintenance of roads, bridges, county equipment, environment sanitary code and control of noxious weeds.
This department  maintains and upgrades of 714 miles of gravel roads, 21 miles of paved roads, dozens of bridges & culverts as well as mowing & tree removal. 

Click here to read more about current maintenance & major repairs. (Maps included)

Maintenance of shop buildings, grounds and a substantial fleet of trucks & heavy equipment are also part of the job.  The Department divides operations into three districts throughout the county.  Due to operational needs & special projects, equipment from each district may occasionally need to be temporarily assigned to areas outside their home district.

District 1 Shop:
102 N. Douglas
Longton, KS. 67352
Phone: (620) 642-6605

District 2 Shop:
305 S. Plum 
Howard, KS. 67349
Phone: (620) 374-2561

District 3 Shop:
626 N Biddle
Moline, KS. 67353
Phone: (620) 647-3265

Public Works is also responsible for the control or eradication of noxious weeds within the county.  Noxious weeds found in Elk County include: Johnson Grass, Bindweed, Musk Thistle, Sericea Lespedeza.

Chemicals to treat noxious weeds may be purchased from the county at cost. Contact the Public Works office for details. No chemicals are sold on Fridays.  Representative Labels & instructions for a few chemicals:  2,4-D Amine2,4-D LV EsterGlyphosate 41 (41% Roundup equiv.)RemedyRemedy UltraTordon RTU.
IMPORTANT NOTE:  These are representative labels only.  ALWAYS follow the label that comes with the exact product you are using.

The Elk County Sanitary Code is administered by the Public Works Department. This includes pre-inspection, sight approval, issuing permits, construction minimum standards, construction inspection and final approval of sanitary septic systems. This department also investigates any Environmental Health complaints.  The Sanitary Code was put into effect on August 9, 1999 to assist in preserving our water resources and to assist homeowners in acquiring the best system to fit individual needs and locations.  When planning any septic system, lagoon or water well construction, contact Public Works first.

Permit Fees:

Septic System


Water Wells


Request for Inspection